Thursday 23 July 2015

Days 1 and 2-nightwear and candles

It's a strange book, this 'Life Changing Magic of Tidying'. The author is the same age as me but has 25 years of tidying, I would call it decluttering, under her belt. The book is full of lots of short sub chapters in each of the sections with quirky titles such as 'Unread books: 'sometime' means 'never'' and 'Empty your bag every day'. The book looks firstly at why you have a problem, explains you should throw out by category, then shows you how to discard stuff, talks about storage and then how this will change your life. By the second section - looking at how you need to discard first before looking at storage and doing this by category - I'd already started the process as I was so excited and inspired! 

So I cheated a bit. I started with nightwear (not a clothing category in the book but a clear category for me). The drawer I store pjs in was full, and there were a few things lying around my bedroom floor. The things I've found most useful in this method (aside from the idea to sort by category in the first place) were:
- 'does it spark joy?' - it was amazing how many pjs I've kept after previous decluttering sessions and I've still not worn them because either I don't like them or they don't fit quite right. It was so freeing to just put them aside.
- thanking items for what they've taught you. My biggest problem when clearing previously has been the fact that someone gave me the item as a gift so I feel obliged to keep it, or it cost a lot so I can't justify getting rid of it as it hasn't been worn threadbear yet. By just saying 'you taught me I didn't suit that colour' I felt I was able to put these items aside too. 


I got rid of 12 different items-11 pjs/nighties etc and a pair of slippers. I had actually thrown out two of my husbands old tshirts the previous day and I'm not counting them. Good progress! Plus the alternative way of folding is great but highlighted how mismatched my pjs are, a few nighties then a lot of random long and short bottoms. I've two tops I liked and kept but only one set of matching pjs. At present I'm wearing a nursing vest at night for easy breastfeeding so this works ok for now but I may be investing in new pjs sometime soon and discarding more! 

Day 2 I cheated again and didn't do more clothes as suggested as I didn't have time, so chose candles. I'm not a particular candle hoarder but had a display candle set for the dining table (which lived elsewhere to avoid toddler attacks!), a selection of scented candles and some coloured candles for display purposes only. Many of these came from The Pier, my most missed high street recession casualty - well, after Woolworths - or were gifts. I got rid of 11, another productive session and I now have a lot more room on the side of the bath!  


It was strange to get rid of engagement gifts that we've had for almost 8 years, but freeing too! I've put the white heart tea light holders into a drawer with tea lights as I will use them as dinner table decorations when we've guests. Rest will be used regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment